February 4th, 2013 marks a day that will live in infamy. (At least in my mind). After agonizing over my blogs name, TheFindependent.com, I decided that I needed to change the name. Readers of personal finance blogs are probably looking for blogs with names that have “money”, “dollar”, “finance” or other financial terms. Thefindependent was an OK name, but it was too ambiguous and kind of reminded me of “Free Fish”. Having a site with “Independent Fins” embedded in the name probably didn’t draw much attention from the readers I wanted to bring here. Since my blog is relatively young (+/- 6 weeks old) this was the right time to do it.
After much searching I found a name that was available, WiseDollar.org, although not perfect, it was a lot better than TheFindependent. I went ahead and got the new domain and then started the process of moving everything over. After a bit of research I decide to use the “WordPress Move” plugin to move my blog over to its new domain. I have to say that wordpress move did a pretty decent job of getting everything moved over. The directory structure and database went over without a hitch and WordPress Move changed all the database entries from the old URL to the new URL flawlessly.
If I have one criticism about wordress move is that the instructions are unintuitive when restoring the site to the new domain. Everything in the plugin and on their support site will lead you to believe that those files have to be in an ftp subdirectory. In reality, you just have to make sure that those files are in the default directory structure where wordpress move expects them to be. In case you’re contemplating doing this to your site, here is where they need to be (In context to your new domains directory structure) :
It took me hours to figure that out but once I found exactly where the backup files needed to be, the new site downloaded and restored everything! Having finished that, I began the process of changing all my settings for WordPress, Feedburner and Jetpack to make sure the right URL and emails were there. That’s when I found out that all of my plugins had inoperable settings. So I’m dealing with that now and hope to have it resolved fairly soon. In the interim, I’ve manually put in some code to get around the limitations the bug has introduced. All in all I’m pleased with the move and look towards the bright side, “It could’ve been a lot worse”!
Two big props to fellow bloggers Joe at TimelessFinance and Jeremy at ModestMoney. They were both willing to take time out from a busy and hectic schedule to give me advise on whether to change the name and what to do if i did change the domain. Francine at ReachFinancialIndependence helped as well and gave me her take on the name change. Joe gets special thanks since he’s been spending an inordinate amount of time coaching a new blogger (me) through the maze of trying to create a successful blog! A big Thank You to all of you!
Latest posts by John Schmoll (see all)
- How to Budget for Your First Car - April 26, 2017
- 4 Digital Savings Tools to Save Money When Shopping Online - April 19, 2017
- 3 Reasons a Cash Budget May Save You More Money - April 12, 2017